Spotlight on Family: Sister Cecilia Kondrc

/
2 Comments

Cecilia Kondrc was the daughter of Jan Kondrc and Anna Kondrc (dont know mother's maiden name).  I believe that she was born in Brestovany on August 8, 1911. In the book "The Deliverance of Sister Cecilia" she mentions that she lived in a small village outside of Bratislava.  I really do not have any real documentation on Sister Cecilia, its just from the book, the LIFE article and bits a pieces that I have heard from folks.



I also know that a relative of hers (Steve Kondrc) my great grandfather was born in Brestovany.  While young she worked on the farm with her brothers and sisters.  Unfortunately I don't know all their names as a few of them were changed in the book due to the fear of reprisal.  She had at least three sisters that I can name Mary Kondrc who married a Hudek and lived in Canada.  Tonka Kondrc I know she visited her sister Mary in Canada its in the LIFE magazine article.   And I found an immigration for a Agnes Kondrc visiting her sister in Canada.

Her father was in the army in 1917 and returned shortly before Czechoslovakia became its own country in 1918.   Cecilia joined the convent of the Daughters of the Most Holy Savior in Bratislava.  I can go into details of her life, but I think taking the time to read the book "The Deliverance of Sister Cecilia" would be a much more interesting way to get all the facts.  Also you can get a copy of the 1954 LIFE article about her life.  It also talks about the made of TV movie "The Deliverance of Sister Cecilia"  played by Claudette Colbert.

She helped priests, and nuns escape religious persecution, and then she herself had to flee in the underground network in Slovakia making her way to Austria, and then Germany (1952).  She entered in the United States around 1954 and headed to California before finally settling in Crown Point, Id.

Sister Cecilia passed away on January 20, 1985 in Crown Point, Indiana.







You may also like

Powered by Blogger.